Skip to main content

The British Journal of Photography Workbook

Hey, look at this - The BJP Workbook - looks great, no? I mean, free? And job leads?

The WORKBOOK gives you a new way to find work with no lead fees or commission fees. 

Hey, that sounds great - what could possibly go wrong?

Well, pretty much all of it. Firstly, it isn't free to actually use - to follow up on the leads you have to pay anything upwards of £26.95 p.m. though this isn't made exactly clear until you have given them your details. And look at the jobs on the front page - at the time of writing the deadlines for applying for the two jobs shown are the 5th and the 19th January. Whoops!

A shame - I expected better from this august publication - I mean, it's pretty interesting, even if sometimes a tad Pseud's Corner (though in fairness you sometimes have to go over the edge in order to know where the edge is). But sleazy internet marketing ploys and advertising claims that suggest an email to the ASA might not go amiss? I'd not thought that of the BJP before.

UPDATE:

I wrote to the Digital Operations Manager and CC'd in the editor and deputy editor; none of them bothered to reply so I'm trying the ASA instead. I'll keep you both posted.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello, I recently discovered and signed up to The Workbook, however it appears to be a very ineffective service. I was just wondering what the result of going to the ASA was?

Thanks

Ash
Patrick Dodds said…
Hello Anon,

the result was that they, the ASA, didn't think there was a case to answer: they thought that it was made explicit that you had to pay and so didn't think there was anything they could do. My understanding is that you only find out you have to pay after you have given all your details to the company (and that's probably valuable info to them that they sell on but I can't definitely say that happens); the ASA thought differently. I wish I'd kept their reply now so I could quote it to you but I deleted it unfortunately. What makes you think it is ineffective?
Patrick
Anonymous said…
I discovered same as yourself - namely the costs only after giving personal details. Additionally as you noted all the leads advertised were months out of date. The costs themselves are in excess of the figures pointed to by the site itself as high in the same blurb as they mention free. The whole thing is nothing more than rebranded 3rd party service which appears aimed at weekend warriors rather than professionals.
I have mailed BJP and tweeted at them a couple of times seeking clarification or explanation of their intention since Jan of this year but to date some 4 months later have had no response. I expected better of BJP all round.
Patrick Dodds said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Photography as Art

Having spent Friday night in prison in Oxford I wanted to recuperate a little yesterday and so took the time to visit the Ansel Adams exhibition at Oxford's modern art museum. Now, back when I were a nipper during my phirst phase of photographic interest, between the ages of about 18 and 25 (before the Exeter sojourn and the heavy-duty clubbing period thereafter), I remember I loved his work. However, since then, sadly, a more cynical Patrick held sway for a while (cynicism, for a long while, being my idea of sophistication) and I rather went off his pictures, or at least, the idea of his pictures. It seemed to me that everyone who had even the remotest interest in photography cited Adams as a key influence and criticism of him appeared off-limits. During this time I wasn't even sure that photography was an art, and that Adams couldn't be as good as I'd thought because he earned near universal praise for his work (I know, strange distorted thinking, but that's how …

Sia Sumana opening night, We Are Cuts, Soho

Waltercio Caldas

Portrait taken at Cecilia Brunson Project, Bermondsey.

From Wikipedia:

Waltércio Caldas Júnior (born 6 November 1946), also known as Waltércio Caldas, is a Brazilian sculptor, designer, and graphic artist. Caldas is best known as part of Brazil's Neo-Concretism movement as well as for his eclectic choices in materials.