Skip to main content

30 Wedding Photos: 3


So, no. 3 in the series. James and Dani spontaneously combusting with joy outside their reception venue (The Rosendale - a stylish gastropub in Gypsy Hill, South London). Why this one? Well, as ever, the spontaneity is a big part of it: though we were about to take some group shots and shots of Dani and James together, this happened before we'd begun and had nothing to do with me, something you can tell just by looking at their faces - James' knew what he was going to do, but neither me nor Dani had any idea; had it been planned, you'd have known in an instant from their expressions. 
What else works in it's favour? The light is nice and even with enough contrast to give them some form - daylight, cloudy: nature's own softbox. Composition, focus, all that stuff - that's there. The bouquet is perfectly placed, and the arch in James' back, the angle of Dani's shoes ... they all work. Mostly though, it's the simplicity of the gesture and the beauty of Dani's expression as both of them look direct to camera and enjoy their day, the tension of the ceremony over, the party yet to properly begin. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photography as Art

Having spent Friday night in prison in Oxford I wanted to recuperate a little yesterday and so took the time to visit the Ansel Adams exhibition at Oxford's modern art museum. Now, back when I were a nipper during my phirst phase of photographic interest, between the ages of about 18 and 25 (before the Exeter sojourn and the heavy-duty clubbing period thereafter), I remember I loved his work. However, since then, sadly, a more cynical Patrick held sway for a while (cynicism, for a long while, being my idea of sophistication) and I rather went off his pictures, or at least, the idea of his pictures. It seemed to me that everyone who had even the remotest interest in photography cited Adams as a key influence and criticism of him appeared off-limits. During this time I wasn't even sure that photography was an art, and that Adams couldn't be as good as I'd thought because he earned near universal praise for his work (I know, strange distorted thinking, but that's how …

Sia Sumana opening night, We Are Cuts, Soho

Waltercio Caldas

Portrait taken at Cecilia Brunson Project, Bermondsey.

From Wikipedia:

Waltércio Caldas Júnior (born 6 November 1946), also known as Waltércio Caldas, is a Brazilian sculptor, designer, and graphic artist. Caldas is best known as part of Brazil's Neo-Concretism movement as well as for his eclectic choices in materials.