Skip to main content

Never have anything to do with anyone who is known by three names, especially three first names

As a rule, of course, yes - don't read their books and avoid them if you can - they will only irritate. And they will be Men. Manly Men. Or at least men who want to be seen as Men.

But of course there are exceptions - one might be* Michael David Murphy, ex-photographer and now (?) photography show curator, interviewed here by Blake Andrews. Why listen to him? Because he has this interesting observation:



"I have a hard time when photographers say they want to "see their work in a gallery."

What's the matter with wanting to be in a gallery?

There's nothing wrong with galleries, or the desire to be in them, but it shouldn't be the end goal. It seems too narrow of a focus. Maybe your photos would work best if you teamed-up with a street-artist who could wheat-paste them on that huge underpass, you know?"



He has other insights too of course, but this is the best one in this interview IMO: he's right - photographs are not necessarily best appreciated in a gallery, pace Jonathan Jones (warning: link is not for the easily offended). A book? A projection on a building? A projection onto a face, or back or shoulder? Or, indeed, plastered across an underpass or over a building? Why not. 


* I say "might" as I've only ever read this one interview with him so YMMV. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My trouble is

when I'm confronted with a request for headshots, say, I can't just stop there I have to start experimenting. I mean, you wouldn't put this on Spotlight or the IMDb now would you? Ah well, I wouldn't do it if I couldn't, if you see what I mean. Above is the ever-beautiful Claire-Monique Martin taken on Friday. Other photographs were procured.

The Opening of Quango's Exhibition at Cuts, Soho

Hamlet - the Malachites - at The Geffrye Museum

Schopenhauer’s central premise is that talent achieves what others cannot achieve, whereas genius achieves what others cannot imagine.