Raymond Carver

“It's possible, in a poem or a short story, to write about commonplace things and objects using commonplace but precise language, and to endow those things-- a chair, a window curtain, a fork, a stone, a woman's earring-- with immense, even startling power. It is possible to write a line of seemingly innocuous dialogue and have it send a chill along the reader's spine-- the source of artistic delight, as Nabokov would have it. That's the kind of writing that most interests me.” 


It's the kind of photography that most interests me. The thing is, though, I'm not sure that one's own pictures can produce the effect one is hoping to produce in others - too much extra information is available, too much is known about how I did it, what I've done in post, the techniques involved. I wonder if Daido Moriyama is trying to produce the effect in himself by working relentlessly, endlessly, producing so much work he doesn't have time to dwell on a few pictures in the way that I do? I constantly go back to work and re-work it, look at it anew, see if I have missed anything, see if I can squeeze something else out of it... Almost certainly, I need to take more pictures. Many, many more pictures. And think about Art more. Think about what life is for, what I want to say. You can't speak from the grave.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Panasonic GX7 vs. the Fuji X100 - some unscientific observations.

101: 28

My trouble is