12 March 2016

Soho Morning II








What I'd like to do is say something new. But perhaps photography cannot do that? And besides, why something new? What's wrong with honing the old? Am I not always thinking, if rarely saying, that art now is too quick to attempt to destroy the old and put up something new, something provocative, before we've even half-way exhausted what the old is capable of? And also, don't I want an oil painting of the view through a car windscreen on a rainy winter's evening on the M6 at the junction with the M54, done with all the style and attention to detail of a Caravaggio? Yes, I do.
Anyway, the above are an attempt at something new, something ambiguous, something with the aleatory to the front and centre. But perhaps I ought to explore the old for a while longer yet.
Another thought occurs to me: the aleatory appeals because it is the closest I can get to being surprised by my own work - with muse as partner, freshness is possible. This makes me happy. And closer to Pollock than I would like. And no, I don't mean I'm in the same category, league or anything else: I'm not deluded.

No comments:

Welcome to Mrs Lemon's: Sic transit gloria mundi.

See more at http://patrickdoddsphotography.co.uk .

Something of an online zibaldone, albeit not on Tumblr where one might otherwise expect to find such things, "Mrs Lemon's Visit to Japan" takes its name from a poster seen in Cornwall advertising a talk at the local Women's Institute. I hope there is something here you like.

NB If you go back in time far enough on here some of the photos start to disappear - not sure why. Whatever is happening with the missing pictures, apologies.

BW

Patrick

Blog Archive