Skip to main content

Procrastinating - best done with a camera to hand

A couple from yesterday taken with the X-Pro2 as jpegs, I've still not got round to sorting out a raw workflow for this camera in part because the jpegs are so good SOOC, but also because the point of the camera as I see it, in this instance, is to get out of the way and if I can reduce workflow as part of that process then this is all to the good. 


Gina and Graham, members of the Victorian Society, outside our kitchen window in Wales (no, honestly). The camera he has with him is a replica of something from the latter half of the 19th Century, though he told me he stuffs a modern digital camera into some of the other bodies he has. 


Welshpool, Saturday morning. Could this be better? Let me count the ways. But never mind, it isn't bad for ten minutes in town prior to cutting the grass. It's metaphorical, see? End of life, exit stage left, the abstraction of the choices of direction we have in life. Also interesting to compare this man's life - the lurid dog bag, the stick, the bad trousers - with the lives of Gina and Graham: I'd guess in both photos the ages of the subjects is about the same but what a difference a passion makes... David Hockney is good on this: 

"You can smoke, you can drink, you do all kinds of things, but you need a sense of purpose: you need  a big job to do. I get so much energy from this. The medical profession thinks everything is physical, that's my complaint to them. It isn't really." 
(from "A Bigger Message" by Martin Gayford - there's plenty more good stuff where this comes from and the book is well worth buying or getting from your library).

What else? Well, I look at people who have a newly acquired passion for photography, or rather I look at the pictures they post, and I envy them. I think I've lost something along the way - the ability, or the desire, to simply take pictures of scenes I like, or that are of interest to me, in a manner that doesn't involve messing with them in some way. I wonder, at the moment, if I have ever had an eye for a photograph at all. Sometimes I think I have, but then days like today come along and I long to lose my striving and instead just take pictures of what is in front of me, unfiltered, no ducking and diving for composition or light or whatever but turn the camera on, press the shutter button and move on.

But anyway, onwards. Those wedding photographs won't edit themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My trouble is

when I'm confronted with a request for headshots, say, I can't just stop there I have to start experimenting. I mean, you wouldn't put this on Spotlight or the IMDb now would you? Ah well, I wouldn't do it if I couldn't, if you see what I mean. Above is the ever-beautiful Claire-Monique Martin taken on Friday. Other photographs were procured.

The Opening of Quango's Exhibition at Cuts, Soho

Panasonic GX7 vs. the Fuji X100 - some unscientific observations.

All the above taken in Shrewsbury today with the Panasonic GX7 and 20mm f1.7 (version 2 of the lens). They were taken in RAW and converted via Photoshop; minimal pp applied. The 1:1 in-camera ratio was used and a couple of them have been cropped a tad afterwards. No colour correction applied in Photoshop.
So, I've had the camera a couple of weeks and what do I think? Well, first off, the rationale for buying this was to have a small, carry everywhere camera that replaced my X100 from Fuji. Why a replacement? Because try as I might, I couldn't overlook the focus problems of the Fuji. Yes, it has updated firmware and yes, I know all about the need for a high-contrast area on which to focus etc, but it was still just too darn frustrating to use and there even remained situations, mostly in low light, when it simply couldn't focus; in such situations you might think that manual focus would be the way to go but anyone who owns an X100 will soon put you right on that. In additi…