2 August 2016

Teaching


My new favourite photograph of the year so far. Why? Well, I don't have enough distance to say why yet but I'll try anyway. The light and tones help, as does the fact that none of the kids can be recognised (which also helps me publish this on the web - this was taken on a paid job but one of the clauses of the contract I have when supplying the pictures is that I won't use any pictures of the children involved without permission). I have a like/dislike relationship with the teacher's face being partially obscured - partly I like it because I think it helps express the idea of her being subsumed into the identities of her charges and partly because it adds to the sense of her being pestered, in the nicest way possible, but still pestered. I dislike it because it suggests that with a bit more attention I could have got something better, showing both of her eyes. But you know what, maybe that wouldn't have been better, maybe the aleatory is playing a part here. 
What else? The hands, the hand positions both relative to one another and in the sense of the curve of the wrists, the curling of the fingers, the sheer number of them, some of them sharp, some of them blurred, none of them on the left of the picture actually touching her hair, but one on the right showing their intent. Her downward looking eye - I like her downward looking eye. 

No comments:

Welcome to Mrs Lemon's: Sic transit gloria mundi.

See more at http://patrickdoddsphotography.co.uk .

Something of an online zibaldone, albeit not on Tumblr where one might otherwise expect to find such things, "Mrs Lemon's Visit to Japan" takes its name from a poster seen in Cornwall advertising a talk at the local Women's Institute. I hope there is something here you like.

NB If you go back in time far enough on here some of the photos start to disappear - not sure why. Whatever is happening with the missing pictures, apologies.

BW

Patrick

Blog Archive