My maunderings over the net today, aided by an alcohol-induced malaise the size of the Pacific gyre, took me to this picture which I'm led to believe is one of Steichen's, though TBH it looks like Kate Moss to me. Anyway, be that as it may, I think this may be the most beautiful photograph I have ever seen, almost perfect in it's imperfections, more beautiful than even anything by the God of Photographers, Paolo Roversi. I'm going to try and find out more but in the meantime, swoon baby swoon!
Addendum: why so taken with this? Well, let's see:
1. Her beauty - eyes, eyebrows, lips, nose, hair, skin...
2. The perfect intensity of her gaze.
3. The imperfections of the picture: it's slightly slanted, it's a bit discoloured, it's not quite symmetrical.
4. The (warm?) wind blowing from right to left, ruffling the coat a bit and sending out a tendril of hair on the left of the picture.
5. The coat, the beautiful coat.
6. The tones. Her make up.
And we're round again to
7. Her beauty.
And there we must stop.
UPDATE 20/11/16: It's by Peter Lindbergh. Now, as you were.