Skip to main content

Epiphany





Visiting Kew Gardens today, a few things happened: 

1. On the train on the way there I was looking at the light as it played across the carriage in one of the newish underground trains that is open throughout - i.e. doesn't have distinct carriages. I realised it would have made a beautiful video a la Pinkhassov. I didn't video it - my phone camera hasn't worked for months and I was too slow to get out the Fuji.

2. Light was playing on the Sackler Bridge at Kew Gardens, as shown above. Of course, I realised afterwards, this too should have been a video. Ah well, at least I'm slowly seeing what the fuss is about, albeit that I still prefer a still.

3. The photo of the plants against the glass, also above, I took after I'd spent the morning thinking about trying to photograph what it is that one can get from going to Kew on one's own: there is an enjoyable type of melancholic loneliness that my visit today had (I'd earlier dropped my wife off at Heathrow and she will be abroad for a week), and I connected this with the talk Cig Harvey gave in the video posted a few posts before this one. It was an epiphany, or so it felt at the time, though now, as I look at the pictures, I don't know if they capture anything of what it was I was trying to say: whilst they are some of the best I've taken at Kew, I don't know if the atmosphere of luxuriating (is that the right word?) in loneliness comes across. Besides, "loneliness" might not be the right word - it is normally considered entirely negative but the feelings I had in the sun on my own today weren't those entirely of sadness, though they had an elegiac quality, but rather of a sense of being alone but being excited by the creative possibilities this afforded. I've taken similar pictures before, but without the intention behind these - I think they're better for it. 

4. I have lots more to say but perhaps now isn't the time - I need to think on some more and not be so public about things until I've worked through them further. In the meantime, here's a few more from this afternoon: 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photography as Art

Having spent Friday night in prison in Oxford I wanted to recuperate a little yesterday and so took the time to visit the Ansel Adams exhibition at Oxford's modern art museum. Now, back when I were a nipper during my phirst phase of photographic interest, between the ages of about 18 and 25 (before the Exeter sojourn and the heavy-duty clubbing period thereafter), I remember I loved his work. However, since then, sadly, a more cynical Patrick held sway for a while (cynicism, for a long while, being my idea of sophistication) and I rather went off his pictures, or at least, the idea of his pictures. It seemed to me that everyone who had even the remotest interest in photography cited Adams as a key influence and criticism of him appeared off-limits. During this time I wasn't even sure that photography was an art, and that Adams couldn't be as good as I'd thought because he earned near universal praise for his work (I know, strange distorted thinking, but that's how …

Sia Sumana opening night, We Are Cuts, Soho

Waltercio Caldas

Portrait taken at Cecilia Brunson Project, Bermondsey.

From Wikipedia:

Waltércio Caldas Júnior (born 6 November 1946), also known as Waltércio Caldas, is a Brazilian sculptor, designer, and graphic artist. Caldas is best known as part of Brazil's Neo-Concretism movement as well as for his eclectic choices in materials.